How to setup a TP-Link Deco Wi-Fi Pod
Simply follow these steps or click here to view the complete user guide.
- Disconnect the power cord from your modem before starting to set up your main pod.
- Place your Wi-Fi pod next to your internet modem. Using the ethernet cable provided, connect one end to LAN Port 1 on your modem and the other end to a port on your Wi-Fi pod.
- Re-attach the power cord to your modem and connect your Wi-Fi pod to a power outlet.
- Wait for the Wi-Fi pod light to turn solid green. This can take about 5 minutes.
Check the status of your pod based on the LED light colour:
- Yellow: Deco Pod unit is starting up
- Blue pulse: Deco Pod is ready for setup
- Blue solid: Deco Pod is setting up
- Green solid: Deco Pod is registered and ready to use
- Red: Deco Pod has an issue
Connecting a device to your pod Wi-Fi network
- Confirm the pod light is solid green.
- On the device you want to connect, select the network name that matches the one found on the bottom of your pod.
- Type in the Wi-Fi password, also on the bottom of your Pod.
TP-Link Deco Pod Wi-Fi Speed
To get the maximum speed of your internet service, you can plug in your device to the TP-Link Deco Pod via the ethernet port. By using this method and depending on the plan you have you can get up to 1 Gbps Speed. Keep in mind that there may be other factors that could adversely affect the speed of your Wi-Fi, such as building materials in your home, the capabilities of the device you are using, and the placement of your modem and Deco Wi-Fi Pods. To get the best speed and coverage, ensure you have enough pods to cover all the corners of your house.
Adding additional pods
If you have already installed a Deco M5 Wi-Fi pod, you can choose to add additional pod(s) to ensure coverage on additional floors or areas of your home.
Setting up additional pods, is quick and easy.
- Place the pod in the desired location within range of your existing Wi-Fi signal and connect the pod to a power outlet.
- Tip: You can use your smartphone to test the Wi-Fi strength in the location you are considering for the new pod.
- Your TP link pod is active when the light on the pod is solid green. If the light is yellow, position the pod closer to the main pod until the light is green.
We recommend having at least one pod per floor, this may vary depending on the size and the layout of your home. The TP-Link Deco App includes tips for selecting the best location for additional pods.
Setting up and using the TP-Link Deco App
There is a lot you can do using the TP-Link Deco App:
- Easily update or personalize your home Wi-Fi network name and password.
- Manage guest network.
- Enable parental controls.
- Protect your Wi-Fi network with antivirus features including Malicious Content Filter, Intrusion Prevention System, and Infected Device Quarantine.
You can Download the TP-Link Deco app onto your smartphone from either the Apple App Store or Google Play
Adding your home Wi-Fi network to the TP Link Deco app
- On your smartphone, connect to your Wi-Fi network.
- You can Download the TP-Link Deco app onto your smartphone from either the Apple App Store or Google Play
- Create a TP-Link login ID and sign in
- The App will automatically bind to the Deco Wi-Fi Pod
- You can now manage your Wi-Fi Network right from your smartphone
Manage Wi-Fi network name and password
You can change the Wi-Fi network name and password through the TP-Link Deco App, this article will show you how to do this.
- Launch the Deco App, log in with your TP-Link ID or tap Sign Up to set up a TP-Link ID.
- Tap More, then click on Wi-Fi
- In the Wi-Fi settings, you have three options: Main Network, Share, and Guest Network
- Click on and change the Network Name (SSID) and/or the Password
- Click on the Save button at the upper right corner to save the changes
Enable Guest Network
A guest network allows visitors to use your Wi-Fi internet without connecting to your private network. Wireless devices connected to a guest network have no access to resources shared on the main network, protecting the security and privacy of your main network.
- Tap the More button in the bottom right corner of the Deco app homepage and then tap Wi-Fi.
- Toggle on the Guest Network to enable
- Tap the Security and select the WPA2-PSK [AES]
- Set a password for the guest network that you can share with visitors
Enable parental controls
Parental Controls allow you to filter online content for your children, control when they can access the internet, restrict the total time they spend online each day, track the websites they visit and apps they use.
- Log in to the TP-Link App
- In the app homepage tap Parental Controls
- Click Add New Profile for the user you want to manage
- Add a new profile name and click Next
- Select the filter level and click Next
- Set the online time limits click Next
- Select the device(s) you want the parental control to apply to and click Done
Take advantage of the Antivirus feature
This feature allows you to surf the internet safely by blocking malicious websites, protecting your home network and applications against external attacks, and by preventing infected devices from sending sensitive information outside your network.
- Log in to the TP-Link Deco App
- In the app Home page tap Antivirus
- Enable all three options for maximum protection